Updated 3/1/2014: We’ve redesigned our clinic procedures to not only make it possible to expand the practice, and hire and train new clinicians, but also to streamline the Case Review process. These changes are described below, and become effective on 3/25/14.
The Case Review is the first step for all new patients. The Case Review process is designed to save money and time in the long-term by performing the appropriate diagnostic testing and evaluation before treatment begins. A cornerstone of my approach is “test, don’t guess.” Identifying the underlying patterns contributing to disease is the key to a successful and lasting outcome.
The Case Review serves several purposes. It enables me to more accurately estimate how long your treatment program will last, what it will include and how much it will cost. It gives you the chance to ask any questions you may have about your condition and how I work with patients. And it provides an opportunity for us to get to know each other and determine if I am the right practitioner for you.
The Case Review includes:
- A thorough review of your medical history and relevant previous lab work (10 page limit).
- A review of your current diet and nutritional supplements.
- A metabolic and neurotransmitter evaluation.
- A consultation to review your results (55 minutes; in-person or by phone/Skype).
- Recommendations for further testing (if necessary).
- A treatment plan including diet, supplements and lifestyle therapies.
Step 1: Initial Consult
During this 25-minute phone/Skype appointment a Patient Navigator (personally trained by Chris) will do an interview to determine which lab tests to order for your Case Review based on your chief complaints and your history. The lab testing ordered after the Initial Consult may include:
- A comprehensive blood chemistry panel. This is the single most efficient, effective and affordable tool for quickly evaluating your health. It screens for a wide range of conditions, including several types of anemia; gut, viral and bacterial infections; insulin resistance and hypoglycemia; liver and kidney issues; and thyroid and adrenal problems. It offers important clues for how to structure and focus your treatment to get the best results. And it provides a baseline of biomarkers that can be used to objectively track the progress of your treatment over time.
- Additional blood tests for specific conditions, such as high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, autoimmune disease, and gluten sensitivity.
- Advanced stool testing to screen for parasites, fungal overgrowth, bacterial infections, intestinal inflammation, dysbiosis and a deficiency of beneficial gut bacteria.
- Urine organic acids testing to screen for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, fungal overgrowth, problems metabolizing fat or carbohydrate, B-vitamin status, methylation issues, detoxification capacity, oxidative stress, and neurotransmitter metabolism.
- Saliva or serum hormone testing for adrenal and sex hormone status.
The Patient Navigator will also provide you with the Case Review health history paperwork to complete. This includes:
- A survey of your chief complaints and most important health goals
- An assessment of your most troubling and frequently experienced symptoms
- A metabolic and neurotransmitter evaluation
- A diet survey and one-day diet diary
- A detailed health and medical history questionnaire
Once we’ve received your lab results and completed Case Review paperwork, you will move on to Step 2.
Step 2: Case Review CONSULTATION
During this 55-min (in-person, or phone/Skype) session, Chris will personally present his Report of Findings. The Report of Findings is broken into three parts: a summary of the underlying patterns that are contributing to your symptoms, recommendations for further testing (if necessary), and an outline of the suggested treatment plan. Chris will also review all of your test results with you and answer any questions you have about his findings or the treatment plan.
Once the Case Review is complete, you’ll have follow-up appointments on an as-needed basis throughout the remainder of your treatment plan. (Chris will advise you on the frequency of these follow-ups, based on your progress.) Follow-up appointments are 25 minutes (either in-person, or via phone or Skype). You may choose to have your follow-ups with Chris when he is available, or you may choose one of our staff clinicians that has been trained by Chris.
Case Review. The fee for the Case Review is $995. This includes the initial 25-min consult and 55-min Case Review consult, Report of Findings, and treatment plan. It does not include labs, supplements, or follow-up appointments. The cost of the labs will vary from patient to patient. You should expect lab fees to range from $300–$1,500+, depending on the severity and complexity of your condition and extent of diagnostics that are required.
Follow-ups. The fee for follow-up appointments is $175 (for 25 minutes).