I often receive updates from blogs I follow, news sources, and emails from colleagues, all containing interesting new research and news stories, even some that relate to former articles that I’ve written.
While I usually post to these articles on my Facebook page and on Twitter, I realize that not all my readers use social media and therefore I wanted to make these links available to everyone. So keep an eye on the blog for this new biweekly feature to stay on top of the current news and events going on in the world of nutrition and health!
Blast from the past
I’ve written before about how research suggests that excess intake of fiber may actually be harmful, particularly for gut health. I’ve also recommended that those with digestive issues should reduce the amount of fibrous vegetables they eat, since consuming large amounts of insoluble fiber when your gut is inflamed is a little bit like rubbing a wire brush against an open wound. This week I came across yet another a study that debunks the fiber myth, suggesting that decreasing fiber intake improves constipation and related symptoms.
- New study published in PLOS One shows that eating fruit still doesn’t contribute to diabetes.
- You may have seen this study on mummies mentioned as proof that diet doesn’t influence heart disease as much as we thought, or that our hunter-gatherer ancestors were keeling over of heart attacks. As Stephan Guyenet argues, it proves nothing of the sort.
- A new study on the mediterranean diet has been all over the news. Reports have claimed that this study proves the Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. While it may be true that the Mediterranean diet is superior to the low-fat diet for heart disease prevention, this study doesn’t prove that. Read these excellent critiques by Stephan Guyenet and Peter Attia to find out why.
Worth a Look
- Balanced Bites: Diane Sanfilippo lists the 4 Super-foods the media tells you are unhealthy
- Science Daily: Why fish is better than supplements. (I’ve written an article on the same topic)
- The Daily Lipid: Chris Masterjohn’s article asks if Weston A. Price’s approach was an “evolutionary approach”
- Mark’s Daily Apple: Mark Sisson explains 9 more reasons you’re not losing weight
For the Foodies
- Nom Nom Paleo: Smashed Steak Skewers with Cherry Barbecue Sauce
- The Food Lovers: Gut Healing Gummy Snacks
- Elana’s Pantry: Chicken with Cauliflower and Olives
Like what you’ve read? Sign up for FREE updates delivered to your inbox.