Julia Child chose Potage Parmentier as the first recipe in her now classic first book, calling it “simplicity itself to make.” We’ve replaced the butter and water with chicken stock instead.
Type of Dish: Side Dish
Equipment: Soup pot with lid
Servings: Serves 6 to 8.
- one pound red potatoes, peeled and cut into one inch dice
- one large leek, washed well (in between each layer check for dirt) and sliced into half inch slices
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 3 TB minced parsley or chives
- Place diced potatoes, sliced leeks, and stock into a soup pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Partially cover the pot and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash soup with anything handy, a potato masher, stick blender, etc, to the consistency desired.
- Serve with fresh parsley or chives.