Here is The Roundup, Edition 47, bringing you the best health research and paleo recipes from around the web over the past two weeks.
Blast from the Past
Recent evidence suggests dietary advice to limit red meat is unnecessarily restrictive and may have unintended health consequences. As people have been avoiding red meat, food trends suggest that they have been replacing unprocessed red meat with unhealthy fats and refined carbohydrates, potentially contributing to the rapid rise in the prevalence of obesity since the 1970s as well as other risk factors for heart disease and/or metabolic syndrome. Avoiding red meat not only hasn’t made us healthier, it might have actually made us unhealthier!
If you’re still unconvinced that red meat is a healthy, nutrient dense food, I suggest reading the comprehensive Red Meat Report I’ve put together, compiling the best research-based articles on the common myths and misconceptions about meat, delicious recipes for cooking red meat, and online resources for finding high quality grass-fed meat products.
- A brisk walk each day is enough to reduce risk of early death by as much as 30%.
- A new study found that children who had quality #sleep performed better academically.
- This study demonstrates the potential power of the 14Four program in reducing metabolic syndrome.
- A significant percentage of obese adults are nutrient deficient in essential vitamins and minerals.
- Two studies show a high-protein/low-carb diet gives you a “metabolic advantage”.
- According to a new study, staying active allows you to age optimally.
- Research demonstrated that drinking from cans made with BPA increased blood pressure in the elderly.
Worth A Look
- Is sugar “toxic” as very-low carb diet advocates claim? Not according to evolutionary history.
- Your electronic devices may be affecting your sleep and long-term health.
- Can occasionally skipping meals, or “mini-fasting”, boost energy and health?
- Learn how to be more mindful and calm throughout the day with these 5 ways to stress less at work.
- New studies link gut microbes and diseases where the body’s immune system attacks its tissue.
- To encourage better sleep habits here’s 23 benefits that come with getting more sleep.
- What happens if CrossFit is no longer hip? Will it go the way of the Bowflex?
- Do you prepare and partake of bone broth? Do you find it palatable?
- Is the modern luxury of year-round warmth affecting body weight and health?
For the Foodies
- Sustainable Dish: Kohlrabi Cakes with Bacon and Dill
- Primavera Kitchen: Carrot and Parsnip Soup
- Paleo Spirit: Marinated Kale Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Sam Eats Her Nutrients: Pizza Kale Chips
- Tastes of Lizzy T: Paleo Zuppa Toscana
- Things My Belly Likes: Mofongo (Fried Plantain Balls)
- The Healthy Foodie: Warm Lamb and Apple Salad
- Against All Grain: Grain Free Spaghetti and Meatballs
- The Domestic Man: Indonesian Meat and Potato Fritters
- Foraged Dish: Extra Dark Homemade Chocolate Hearts
- Fresh and Fit: Toasted Coconut and Lemon Truffles
- Beyond The Bite: Paleo Fig Newton Raw Bars
Like what you’ve read? Sign up for FREE updates delivered to your inbox.I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.