I have a new feature to share: recipes! Every other week I’ll be releasing a new, exclusive recipe that will also be available in the Meal Plan Generator.
This week, I’ve got a delicious recipe for those of you that are starting to get sick of your go-to safe starch – sweet potatoes. If you’re looking to try some different starches, give these yuca fries a shot! Pair them with a nice burger or steak and you’ve got a quick and easy meal ready to go. We’ll be exploring other safe starches in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.
- 2 medium yuca roots (about 6-8 inches long each)
- Duck fat, lard or tallow (if you don’t have these, you can use olive oil – but they won’t be as good!)
- Sea salt & pepper
- Bring about 3 quarts of water to a boil.
- Peel yuca using sharp knife.
- Cut into the shape of fries, about 2.5 – 3 inches long and 1/2″ thick. (Don’t cut them thinner than this, or they’ll get too tough/crispy when you roast them.)
- Boil the fries for 12 minutes. You want them to be soft, but not falling apart. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Put 3-4 TBS of duck fat (or whatever fat you’re using) into a small saucepan and heat until liquid.
- Drain fries and put them in a mixing bowl. Pour fat over fries and mix around to distribute evenly.
- Spread fries on a baking sheet, and season generously with sea salt and pepper. Paprika or chili powder are a nice touch here as well.
- Roast for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip the fries.
- Roast for another 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Note: each yuca root has a tough, stringy bit in the center of the root. This will turn up in some of the fries – so watch out for it. I used to boil the yuca in halves and remove this stringy part before cutting into fry shapes, but found that it was easier to do it this way and just avoid it while eating the fries.
Like what you see? Join more than 30,000
others and subscribe for email updates.
I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.
Follow Chris Online:
Discover your own ideal diet & end confusion about what to eat forever.Learn More
Boost fertility naturally & promote lifelong health for you & your baby.Learn More
Personalized online portal with easy-to-use tools, expert advice, and the support of a passionate, intelligent community.Learn More