Type of dish: Entree
Equipment: Large soup pot with lid
Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 2 TB traditional fat of choice
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- 3 large or 6 small garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium/large sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch to 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- optional: one minced fresh chili or 1/2 tsp chili powder if you prefer a bit of heat
- 4 uncooked chicken leg and thighs, or 4 equivalent sized servings of chicken pieces
- 1 pound red bell peppers (3 small/medium sized or 2 large), seeded and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 cup (8 TB) almond butter or more to taste
- Heat the fat of choice in a large pot set over medium heat.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, until they have softened.
- Add the minced garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in the broth and tomato puree. Add the sweet potatoes, salt, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and optional chilies, and stir well. Add the chicken pieces, nestling them down into the broth. Cover the pot. Bring to a gentle simmer. Once simmering, set the timer for 30 minutes. Give a little stir every once in a while to check that no sweet potatoes are sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Uncover the stew, bring it back to a simmer, and once simmering, cook for 10 more minutes to begin reducing the broth liquid.
- Add the red bell peppers. Leaving the pot uncovered, bring it back to a simmer. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- Check the meat to see if its done with a knife: The juices should run clear and the meat should not be pink inside. Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and place on a cutting board. Shred the meat off the bones with a fork and return the meat to the pot. Save the bones for making stock.
- At the last minute, stir the almond butter in to the stew, until it is incorporated into the liquid.
- Divide the stew into four portions to serve.
Like what you see? Join more than 40,000
others and subscribe for email updates.
I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.
Follow Chris Online:
Boost fertility naturally & promote lifelong health for you & your baby.Learn More
Personalized online portal with easy-to-use tools, expert advice, and the support of a passionate, intelligent community.Learn More
Learn exactly what to do (or not do) about high cholesterol.Learn More