Type of dish: Side Dish
Equipment: Pot with steamer basket and lid, sauté pan
Servings: Makes 4 servings.
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds asparagus, washed, tough bottom parts broken off, and sliced into one-inch pieces
- 1 TB traditional fat of choice
- 5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced or roughly chopped
- juice of one lemon
- salt to taste
- Steam asparagus in covered pot with steamer basket, with one to two” of boiling water, until bright green, about 5 minutes.
- Remove asparagus from heat and drain any excess water.
- In a sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for one minute, stirring.
- Add the almonds and toast lightly, stirring for about another minute.
- Remove pot from heat and add in the steamed asparagus. Stir well.
- Finally squeeze in the juice of the lemon and salt to taste. Serve.