Here is The Roundup, Edition 59, bringing you the best health research and paleo recipes from around the web over the past two weeks.
Blast from the Past
A new study showed that lean or obese, participants maintained overall lower insulin and increased insulin sensitivity with a new source of resistant starch: green bananas. And participants who were obese even saw improvements in their body weight after four weeks of supplementation with green banana starch.
These improvements in metabolic health from resistant starch are a big reason why replacing refined carbohydrates with natural plant-based carbohydrates can help those with type 2 diabetes and obesity improve their blood sugar control and potentially lose weight, without having to completely eliminate all carbohydrates from their diets.
If you’re interested in learning more about resistant starch and the health benefits that come from eating foods that are high in various types of fiber and indigestible starches, I recommend reading an article all about resistant starch written by my staff clinician Dr. Amy Nett, and listening to my podcast with Jeff Leach from the American Gut Project.
- Research finds diversifying your diet may make your gut healthier.
- Women who endured chronic stress during their childhood have significantly more risk of a preterm birth, according to a new study.
- Being fit doesn’t just boost kids’ physical health, it keeps their brains sharp too, says the latest research.
- While menopause can bring on symptoms of depression, SSRI’s may not be the right solution – especially for your bone health.
- What could prayer and meditation do for your IBS and IBD?
Worth A Look
- Have you heard my big news: I’m opening the Kresser Institute for Functional and Evolutionary Medicine in January. Pre-enrollment starts in August!
- Is kale bad for you? Learn why you might want to switch up your veggie intake.
- Read these super simple tips anyone can follow for a quick meditation session anywhere, anytime from our friends at Thrive Market.
- Alison Golden, from PaleoNonPaleo, shares some simple and effective tips to help prioritize sleep and get to sleep faster.
- Are your kids addicted to their screen time? According to Catherine Steiner-Adair, a Harvard-affiliated psychologist, “There’s nothing about this that can’t be fixed.”
- I recently recorded a presentation for the Mental Wellness Summit where I discuss this “gut-brain axis” as well as new research about the microbiome’s affect on mental health. Sign up now to get free access to my presentation, and many others, during the week of Aug 10-17th.
- Did you miss the UN’s International Day of Happiness? Don’t worry, be happy – like these 6 Nepalis.
- A middle school teacher near Bozeman, MT, has started using pedal desks in her social studies class to increase students’ physical activity during school.
- Mindfulness meditation may not be a cure all, but when it comes to the treatment of depression, anxiety, and pain, the practice may be just as effective as medication.
- I’m a little tired of the whole Bacon-Paleo meme. But, if you are eating pork, you still need to really consider the source.
For the Foodies
- Elana’s Pantry: Strawberry Lemonade
- Against All Grain: Tangled Thai Salad
- The Paleo Mom: Lettuce Soup
- The Clothes Make The Girl: Lemon-Maple Kale Salad with Dates & Almonds
- The Healthy Foodie: Sweet Plantain Lasagna
- The Domestic Man: Ahi Poke
- Real Food With Dana: Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Primal Palate: Fish Tacos with Smokey Slaw
- PaleOMG: Spicy Cod with Peach Nectarine Salsa
- Nom Nom Paleo: Broiled Herb Stuffed Sardines
- Sustainable Dish: Grilled Chicken with Raspberry Chipotle Glaze
- Paleo Newbie: Moroccan Spiced Pork Chops with Sautéed Apples
- My Heart Beets: Salted Tahini Fudge
- A Girl Worth Saving: Dairy-free Cherry Popsicles
- Predominantly Paleo: Paleo Fried Apple Pies
Like what you’ve read? Sign up for FREE updates delivered to your inbox.I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.