Here is The Roundup, Edition 62, bringing you the best health research and paleo recipes from around the web over the past two weeks.
Blast from the Past
In a new study, compounds found in purple potatoes suppressed the growth of colon cancer tumors in petri dishes and in mice by targeting the cancer’s stem cells. The compounds believed to be responsible for the slowed growth of the colon cancer was anthocyanins, chlorogenic acid, and resistant starch.
The bacterial conversion of resistant starch into short chain fatty acids is able to regulate immune function in the gut, suppress chronic inflammation, and may also help to cause cancer cells to self-destruct.
Dr. Amy Nett, a physician at the California Center for Functional Medicine, wrote a guest post on the benefits of resistant starch. Resistant starch selectively stimulates the good bacteria in our intestines, helping to maintain a healthy balance of bacteria. Consumption of resistant starch has also been shown to increase insulin sensitivity, support weight loss, and decrease inflammation in the gut.
The new study on purple potatoes simply adds to the evidence supporting the consumption of resistant starch-rich foods like green (unripe) bananas, plantains, properly prepared cooked and cooled parboiled rice or legumes, and cooked and cooled potatoes.
- A hug a day keeps the doctor away?
- Women 18-34 were twice as likely to suffer from insomnia than male counterparts in this study.
- Too much homework can actually be bad for your kids’ health.
- Another thing that is not Paleo? The air you are breathing.
- Review shows dairy is anti-inflammatory, not pro-inflammatory.
- More evidence that lifelong health may be highly influenced by the early life events that shape your microbiota.
- 11% of americans suffer from chronic pain according to a new study.
- Researchers were looking for the heart benefits of exercise, what they found was reduced risk for chronic disease.
- There is more genetic evidence of human adaptation to carbohydrate consumption.
- Animal protein is more anabolic than plant protein.
- New research shows how acupuncture might work in the human body to reduce stress, pain, and potentially, depression.
- Breaking up sedentary behavior with bouts of light activity may help control blood sugar and weight.
- Depressed? There’s an app for that. Well there could be, according to a new study.
- The Goldilocks rule for vitamin D supplementation: not too high, not too low.
- Reward-driven eating predicts body fatness and weight gain.
- Two studies show that meditation can make us more compassionate.
Worth A Look
- New info from Dr. Chris Masterjohn about the fermented cod liver oil controversy.
- Butcher Box delivers fresh, frozen 100% grass-fed beef to your door.
- Is your gut causing your stress? Or is your stress hurting your gut?
- Here’s how to use kids’ short attention span at school for their good.
- Cool future tech to tell you when your stress is too high?
- Did you know that lunch meats, potato chips, and salad dressing often contain gluten?
- Failure to replicate study results: does it invalidate the original study?
- A standing desk for kids. This one is pretty cool and low tech, too.
- Can sugar change your brain?
- Could leaving work forever improve your health?
- Not only your early life environment, but your current environment can impact your genetic destiny.
- Want to suddenly run a marathon at age 35? Kudos. But here’s how it could backfire.
- What you never knew about the health benefits of ‘baby spit’.
- A man with almost-perfect poop donates it to help patients with C-diff infection.
- You may not be able to do number 67 on this list, but many others are great ideas for living longer.
For the Foodies
- Ambitious Kitchen: Almond Butter Blueberry Paleo Waffles
- Empowered Sustenance: Hazelnut + Ginger Carrot Salad
- Virginia is for Hunter Gatherers: Pomegranate-Bacon Arugula Salad
- Colorful Eats: Peach Pesto Chicken Caesar Salad
- A Girl Worth Saving: Green Beans with Bacon and Mushrooms
- The MerryMaker Sisters: Healthy Tots
- PaleOMG: Orange Glazed Chicken Kabobs
- The Healthy Foodie: Grapes and Buttermilk Chicken
- Predominantly Paleo: Honey Merlot Crispy Duck Legs
- Grazed and Enthused: Nightshade-Free Buffalo Chicken Skillet
- Stupid Easy Paleo: Paleo Meatcakes
- Fed and Fit: Shrimp Scampi with Beet Noodles
- Paleo Newbie: Saucy Grilled Pork Chops
- Paleo Cajun Lady: AIP Paleo Roast Beef with Cabbage Steaks & Mushrooms
- Hummusapien: Paleo Pumpkin Bars
- A Squirrel In The Kitchen: AIP Oven Roasted Fruit Cups with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Living Healthy With Chocolate: Blueberry Chocolate Cake
- Primal Palate: Sangria
Like what you’ve read? Sign up for FREE updates delivered to your inbox.I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.