This post is sponsored by the Meal Plan Generator, which features over 600 Paleo recipes personalized to meet your unique needs.
“Rustic” in this recipe means that you’ll want to keep the tomatoes, celery and carrots as whole as possible, to retain their texture and visual aspect.
Equipment: Large sauté pan, mortar and pestle
For the Meatballs:
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef (preferably grass fed)
- 1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (ground fennel if you don’t have a mortar and pestle)
- 3+2 TB traditional fat of choice (ghee, lard, tallow, duck fat, etc.)
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 2 eggs
- black pepper
For the Stew:
- 4 medium carrots, sliced into 2″ diagonal pieces
- 2 large celery stalks (preferably peeled), sliced into 2″ diagonal pieces
- 2 cans of WHOLE plum/Roma tomatoes, drained
- 1 onion, skinned and cut into 8 wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and coarsely chopped
- 1 TB Balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups beef or chicken stock
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- Coarsely grind fennel seeds and add to all other ingredients (reserve 3 TB/45ml fat for frying), and mix well.
- Heat the 3 TB/45ml fat in the sauté pan and fry a small portion of the mixture to taste test for salt; add salt if necessary.
- Shape meatballs (about the size of a golfball), and fry until well browned and firm (5 min). Remember that the meatballs will be simmered in the stew later, so at this stage don’t overcook.
- Remove the meatballs and set aside.
- In the sauté pan briefly fry the onion and garlic.
- Add the stock, bring to a boil and add all other ingredients except tomatoes and Balsamic vinegar.
- Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and let simmer until the carrots and celery are tender.
- Add the meatballs, whole tomatoes and Balsamic vinegar and simmer uncovered for 15 min.
- Taste for salt.
- Serve in soup bowls, garnished with chopped basil.
For more recipes like this, and meal plans that can be customized just for you, check out the Meal Plan Generator.
Like what you see? Join more than 40,000
others and subscribe for email updates.
I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.
Follow Chris Online:
Boost fertility naturally & promote lifelong health for you & your baby.Learn More
Personalized online portal with easy-to-use tools, expert advice, and the support of a passionate, intelligent community.Learn More
Learn exactly what to do (or not do) about high cholesterol.Learn More