Type of dish: Side Dish, Soup
Equipment: Soup pot, optional blender or immersion blender
Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 1 yellow onion, chopped large
- 1 TB fat of choice
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 4 cups peeled and chopped beets, 1 inch cubes (about 3 beets , but depends on the size of the beets)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled carrots, cut into 1 inch slices (or substitute celery root or parsnips)
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups beef stock or bone broth
- juice of 1 lemon or 1 TB red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- pepper to taste
- chopped fresh chives or dill for garnish
- Heat the fat, onions, and garlic in the pot over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until they are softened.
- Add the bay leaf, beets, carrots, and stock. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and let cook at a low simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the beets are soft enough to be easily pierced with a knife.
- Remove the bay leaf. Stir in the lemon juice or red wine vinegar and salt and pepper.
- You can serve without pureeing if preferred. Or, use an immersion blender to puree the soup, or even just puree halfway for a different texture.
- Garnish with fresh herbs. If you have dairy in your current meal plan, this soup is often topped with sour cream.