Type of dish: Snack
Equipment: Food processor, pot with lid
Servings: Makes 1-2 servings.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fresh basil, packed
- 1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 TB pine nuts, lightly toasted or raw
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste -about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp
- a few grinds black pepper
- Hard boil the eggs. Bring a pot of water to a simmer. Use enough water so that the eggs will be fully covered by a couple of inches once they are added.
- When the water comes to a simmer, gently lower the eggs into the water using a large spoon or ladle.
- Cover, and reduce the heat to low to maintain a very low simmer. Let eggs cook like this for 12 minutes. Avoid over-cooking the egg, which will result in a dark ring around the yolk.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place them into a bowl of cold water. Once cooled, peel off their shell.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. Place the basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds to create a chunky mixture.
- Add the olive oil 1 TB at a time to create a more fluid mixture.
- Plate the eggs and spoon the pesto around or on top of the eggs.
Like what you’ve read? Sign up for FREE updates delivered to your inbox.I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.