Need a tasty way to include liver in your diet? Higado Encebollado is a traditional Mexican dish.
Type of dish: Entree, Breakfast
Servings: Makes 2 to 4 servings
- 3/4 pound beef liver, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 tsp lard or traditional fat of choice
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch dried rosemary
- roughly chopped cilantro and sliced avocado for garnish
- Heat the lard in a large skillet or pot.
- Add onion and cook over medium high heat, stirring, until onion is softened.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in oregano and rosemary.
- Lay the liver slices on top of the onions and cover pot. Let cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip the liver slices and this time place them on the pan bottom, covering with the onions. Cover and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir onions and flip liver one last time, cover and cook for a final 3 minutes.
- Check to see if it’s done by slicing one liver in half. It is done if there is no more blood.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro on top and avocado on the side.
Like what you’ve read? Sign up for FREE updates delivered to your inbox.I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.