If you can’t tolerate grain or nut flours, this recipe is for you. Made with savory plantain flour, these pancakes are a perfect complement to an array of yummy toppings like berries and fresh fermented cream. You can buy plantain flour online if you can’t find it locally or even make it yourself!
Type of dish: Breakfast
Servings: Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup plantain flour (buy online or locally if possible, or make from scratch with green plantains)
- 2 small eggs, beaten
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk (raw, goat, almond, etc.)
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- coconut oil (for cooking)
- butter, berries, fermented cream, coconut milk/cream, etc. for toppings
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix well.
- Add the eggs and milk. Stir well until fully incorporated into a batter.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Drop the batter in, using about 1/4 cup batter per pancake. Use the back of a spoon to shape batter into circles, if necessary. A good tip is to make pancakes in batches rather than crowding the pan too much at one time.
- Once both sides are browned, use spatula to remove pancakes. Top with butter, berries, fermented cream, coconut milk/cream, or your other toppings of choice.