The ADAPT Functional Health Coach training program is one of the most rigorous Health and Wellness Coach Training & Education Programs approved by the National Board for Health and Wellness Coaching (NBHWC).
An ADAPT-Certified Functional Health Coach (A-CFHC) has completed our robust 12-month training that includes months of dedicated learning in the areas of both Functional Health and the Art and Science of Coaching, followed by months of practical experience and applied learning with feedback. Our program provides more hours of practical application than most any other program, and it’s the practice that leads to successful coaches, and thus, successful clients. Additionally, there are homework and reading assignments, practice with peers and real clients, midterm and final exams, resulting in a high level of mastery in facilitating lifestyle and behavior change, especially in supporting clients to reach their health and wellness goals and change mindsets and behavior within an ancestral health and functional medicine context.
In order to be certified – in addition to comprehensive coursework – each graduate has passed a practical skills assessment evaluated by a NBHWC-certified mentor coach and acquired proven coaching experience via a coaching log of a minimum of 25 sessions with a variety of clients.
Trained in Collaboration
ADAPT-Certified Functional Health Coaches are trained to collaborate with licensed providers. This includes general principles such as the coach versus expert models and when to use each, communicating with licensed providers, scope of practice considerations, and support, as well as more specific information about how to work with clinicians when you’re in private practice and how to develop referral relationships. We discuss how to work with providers in a clinical setting, how health coaches can improve care and generate additional revenue for clinicians, how to position yourself and your services to clinicians, and how to structure health coach services in a clinical setting.
Robust and In-Depth Training
The subjects covered in-depth via live instructor sessions, coaching demonstrations, peer practice, reading and video homework assignments and regular live mentor coach sessions in small group settings:
- Core coaching skills
- Positive psychology
- Character strengths
- Motivational interviewing
- The stages of change
- Coaching relationship skills
- Behavior change and habit formation and reversal
- Difficult conversations and conflict resolution
- Goal setting and accountability
- Mindfulness and coaching presence
- Legal and ethical considerations for coaches
Evidence-based Education in Functional and Ancestral Health and Nutrition:
- Ancestral nutrition fundamentals
- Principles of Functional Medicine
- Diet variations: AIP, low-FODMAP, ketogenic, etc.
- Overview of Functional Medicine lab testing (understanding when/why tests are ordered)
- Better understanding of specific conditions ranging from autoimmune to thyroid, gut health, and more
- The role of nutrient status and supplementation
- The power of lifestyle and behavior modifications (exercise, sleep, stress, toxins)
- Food and kitchen prep and shopping
Find an ADAPT Certified Functional Health Coach in our Health Coach Directory.