Type of dish: Fundamentals
Equipment: Blender, cheesecloth, cloth sprouting bag, or nut milk bag, two 1 quart glass jars
Servings: Makes about 2 quarts (2 l/80 fl oz)
- 2 cups raw almonds
- water for soaking the almonds
- 6 cups water
- Soak the nuts for eighteen hours, draining, rinsing, and changing the water halfway through.
- After soaking, the nuts will have expanded in size. In a 1 to 3 ratio, add nuts and purified water to the blender. For example, 1 cup soaked nuts to 3 cups water.
- Blend thoroughly. Then, slowly pour the contents of the blender through the filter, such as cheesecloth. Use hands to milk the bag. Slowly is recommended to avoid making a mess!
- Store the milk in a glass container with tightly sealing lids. Nut milk will keep for about 4 days.
- The remaining pulp can be used to make desserts or savory cheese-like dips.