Type of dish: Lunch, Soup
Oven Temp: 350°F (180°C/Gas 4)
Equipment: roasting pan, large stockpot, food processor or blender
- 4 cups roasted winter squash of choice
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 TB fat of choice (preferably ghee)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 can (13½ fl oz) coconut milk
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1½ TB cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and pith, rub with coconut oil, place cut side down in a roasting pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- When cooked, let cool and then scoop out flesh.
- In a food processor or blender purée squash and chicken stock until smooth.
- Melt fat of choice in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and sauté until soft and slightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in coconut milk, transfer to food processor or blender with squash/chicken stock mix and purée until completely smooth.
- Transfer the soup to a large pot and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Finally, serve in soup bowls garnished with cilantro.