Type of dish: Condiment, Sauces
Servings: Makes 2 cups
- ⅓ cup packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 TB traditional fat of choice
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 2 cups puréed tomatoes
- 1 TB Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the sun-dried tomatoes: If they were packed in oil, simply measure out 1/3 cup and then chop them on the cutting board. If they are dried, soak them just covered in water for 15 minutes to rehydrate. Then measure out 1/3 cup and chop them.
- In a pan or pot, heat the fat of choice over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped up sun-dried tomatoes, the puréed tomatoes and the Italian seasoning.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Serve chunky or purée with an immersion blender if you would like the sauce to be completely smooth.