Type of dish: Condiment, Fermented Foods
Equipment: Grater or food processor with grating attachment, half gallon jar or 1.5 liter glass canning jar with tight sealing lid, pounding tool
- 4 cups carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 4 ½ tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 tsp sea salt (this is the minimum quantity of salt, 5 tsp is better)
- In a sturdy bowl, mix all ingredients and pound with a wooden pounder or to release juices. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Place in the mason jar and press down firmly with a pounder or meat hammer until juices cover the carrots. The top of the carrots should be at least 1″ (2 ½ cm) below the top of the jar.
- Cover tightly and leave at room temperature (72°F/22°C) about 3 to 5 days before transferring to the refrigerator.