Type of dish: Side Dish, Soups
Equipment: Immersion blender or blender, cooking pot
- 1 lb carrots, cut into ½ inch thick rounds
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 to 6 TB grass fed butter
- 2 TB freshly squeezed orange juice
- yogurt or sour cream for garnish (optional)
- minced chives for garnish
- orange zest for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste, if desired
- Add the carrots and chicken stock to the soup pot and cook on medium-low to medium heat until carrots softened (a sharp knife easily goes through them when pierced), perhaps 20 minutes or so.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat and add the fresh ginger, dried ginger, cumin, butter, and orange juice.
- Purée with a handheld blender, or if you don’t have one, transfer to a blender and purée.
- Serve in soup bowls, and garnish with chives and orange zest. Add in optional yogurt or sour cream for a nice sour touch to the soup if you like it. Salt and pepper to taste if desired.