A cooking secret behind this soup's delicious spice balance: use both fresh AND dried ginger for layered flavor profiles.
This post is sponsored by the Paleo Recipe Generator, which features over 700 Paleo recipes personalized to meet your unique needs.
Type of dish: Side Dish, Soups
Equipment: Immersion blender or blender, cooking pot
- 1 lb carrots, cut into ½ inch thick rounds
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 to 6 TB grass fed butter
- 2 TB freshly squeezed orange juice
- yogurt or sour cream for garnish (optional)
- minced chives for garnish
- orange zest for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste, if desired
- Add the carrots and chicken stock to the soup pot and cook on medium-low to medium heat until carrots softened (a sharp knife easily goes through them when pierced), perhaps 20 minutes or so.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat and add the fresh ginger, dried ginger, cumin, butter, and orange juice.
- Purée with a handheld blender, or if you don’t have one, transfer to a blender and purée.
- Serve in soup bowls, and garnish with chives and orange zest. Add in optional yogurt or sour cream for a nice sour touch to the soup if you like it. Salt and pepper to taste if desired.
For more recipes like this, and meal plans that can be customized just for you, check out the Paleo Recipe Generator
Like what you’ve read? Sign up for FREE updates delivered to your inbox.I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.