Type of dish: Lunch, Soup
Equipment: Soup Pot
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 to 3 stalks lemongrass
- 2 inch piece of galangal root, or substitute ginger root, cut into 8 to 10 rounds the size and shape of quarters (or silver dollars)–Galangal root can be found frozen in Asian grocery stores or in dried form (Thai Kitchen brand)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, if you can find them, ripped into four pieces each
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts, or alternately, 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 to 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake or oyster mushrooms (or any other mushrooms)
- 1 TB fish sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (for FODMAPs use green section only)
- 1 TB chopped cilantro leaves
- optional: 2 or more Thai bird chilies or other chili of choice, stem removed and lightly crushed (omit for autoimmune)
- Bring the stock to a boil, skim off any foam that rises to the top and add all ingredients, except the fish sauce, cilantro, and green onion.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, and fish sauce. Ladle into soup bowls or mugs, and garnish with cilantro and green onions.