Type of dish: Fundamentals
Servings: 4 qts (3.8 l/130 fl oz)
Equipment: Large stock pot (not aluminum), fine mesh sieve
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley
- 2 celery stalks, chopped, or a hand-full of celery leaves (optional)
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- 5 qts water
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- Note: don’t add salt
- 2 – 3 lbs fish bones, preferably from white fleshed fish (cod, flounder, etc. are ideal). Avoid using oily fish such as salmon
- 1 whole, peeled onion, studded with 3 cloves
- Place all ingredients in the stock pot, and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 45 min.
- If desired, the stock can be left to simmer uncovered, reducing the liquid, and concentrating the flavors. This is the reason why salt isn’t added.
- Strain through sieve.
- The stock can then be portioned and frozen for future use.
Better supplementation. Fewer supplements.
Close the nutrient gap to feel and perform your best.
A daily stack of supplements designed to meet your most critical needs.