This recipe uses green asparagus, which is first quickly grilled, and then kept in a light Dijon marinade. Some cooks peel the asparagus, but in this recipe that’s not necessary.
Type of dish: Breakfast, Lunch, Side Dish
Equipment: Stovetop Grill, Glass, or Ceramic Dish
Servings: Serves 4
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 TB Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- 2 lbs green asparagus tough end removed (bend the asparagus until it snaps; the tough end can be frozen for later use in soups).
- 3 TB olive oil to baste
- Wash, and prepare the asparagus as mentioned above; you’ll be using the upper end, or tip.
- Coat with olive oil.
- Heat the grill to just below smoke point – test with a drop, or two of olive oil.
- Grill the asparagus for no more than 2 min “Al Dente”.
- Arrange neatly in the glass or ceramic dish.
The Marinade (actually a vinaigrette):
- Blend all ingredients together.
- Taste for salt, and lemon juice; if too acidic add more olive oil.
- Pour over the asparagus, and refrigerate.