Type of dish: Lunch, Dinner
Equipment: Large Soup or Stock Pot
- 2 lb. beef steak for stew cut in small cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 ¾ cup beef broth
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut in small cubes
- 1 winter squash (such as butternut), cut in small cubes
- 1 ½ cup diced fruit, such as fresh pears (dried apricots also often used instead)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TB paprika
- a pinch of cumin
- traditional fat of choice
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot with lid, heat the fat of choice and then sear the meat until golden brown on all sides.
- Add the onions and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato, paprika, bay leaves, cumin, and one cup of beef broth. Cook, covered over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, squash, fruit, salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes more.
- While cooking, check the amount of liquid. If it is too dry, add more beef broth.