Knowing how many beef short ribs to buy per person can be confusing. Buying by weight isn’t practical. Ask your butcher and mention that you’ll be using a slow cooker, so the ribs will have to be short otherwise they won’t fit in the pot. 2 to 4 inches (5 to 10 cm) long is about right. A basic rule is that three 6 inch (15 cm) long ribs are enough per person.
Type of dish: Dinner
Equipment: Large Heavy Skillet, Slow Cooker
Oven Temp: Slow Cooker on Low 8 to 10 Hours
- 2 to 4 inch long ribs, enough for 4 people (ask your butcher for advice)
- 1½ TB lard
- 1 large onion cut in 6 wedges
- 1½ cups whole black olives
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 1½ cups beef stock or bone broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 TB balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Melt lard in skillet over high heat.
- Sprinkle salt over ribs, add ribs to skillet and cook until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Still on high heat, add onions, red wine, beef stock and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Place ribs, liquid and remaining ingredients in slow cooker, set on low and cook for 8 to 10 hours.
- Adjust for salt and serve, garnished with parsley.
Better supplementation. Fewer supplements.
Close the nutrient gap to feel and perform your best.
A daily stack of supplements designed to meet your most critical needs.