Knowing how many beef short ribs to buy per person can be confusing. Buying by weight isn’t practical. Ask your butcher and mention that you’ll be using a slow cooker, so the ribs will have to be short otherwise they won’t fit in the pot. 2 to 4 inches (5 to 10 cm) long is about right. A basic rule is that three 6 inch (15 cm) long ribs are enough per person.
Type of dish: Dinner
Equipment: Large Heavy Skillet, Slow Cooker
Oven Temp: Slow Cooker on Low 8 to 10 Hours
- 2 to 4 inch long ribs, enough for 4 people (ask your butcher for advice)
- 1½ TB lard
- 1 large onion cut in 6 wedges
- 1½ cups whole black olives
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 1½ cups beef stock or bone broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 TB balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Melt lard in skillet over high heat.
- Sprinkle salt over ribs, add ribs to skillet and cook until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Still on high heat, add onions, red wine, beef stock and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Place ribs, liquid and remaining ingredients in slow cooker, set on low and cook for 8 to 10 hours.
- Adjust for salt and serve, garnished with parsley.
Better supplementation. Fewer supplements.
Close the nutrient gap to feel and perform your best.
A daily stack of supplements designed to meet your most critical needs.
Thanks for the post. I’m always looking for new recipes to add to my paleo recipe box. I’ll definitely be trying the Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs with Rosemary and Black Olives.
Knowing what number of meat short ribs to purchase per individual can be confounding. Purchasing by weight isn’t down to earth. Ask your butcher and specify that you’ll be utilizing a moderate cooker, so the ribs will must be short else they won’t fit in the pot.
i like this blog..
What kind of black olives would be best? Would black olives in a can suffice?
Any black olives will do, even Kalamata if you want to splurge. It’s preferable to buy olives in glass jars unless you can find BPA free cans.