The rosemary in this recipe is just a background flavor. It's the olives that make this Mediterranean dish unique.
Knowing how many beef short ribs to buy per person can be confusing. Buying by weight isn’t practical. Ask your butcher and mention that you’ll be using a slow cooker, so the ribs will have to be short otherwise they won’t fit in the pot. 2 to 4 inches (5 to 10 cm) long is about right. A basic rule is that three 6 inch (15 cm) long ribs are enough per person.
This post is sponsored by the Paleo Recipe Generator, which features over 700 Paleo recipes personalized to meet your unique needs.
Type of dish: Dinner
Equipment: Large Heavy Skillet, Slow Cooker
Oven Temp: Slow Cooker on Low 8 to 10 Hours
- 2 to 4 inch long ribs, enough for 4 people (ask your butcher for advice)
- 1½ TB lard
- 1 large onion cut in 6 wedges
- 1½ cups whole black olives
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 1½ cups beef stock or bone broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 TB balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Melt lard in skillet over high heat.
- Sprinkle salt over ribs, add ribs to skillet and cook until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Still on high heat, add onions, red wine, beef stock and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Place ribs, liquid and remaining ingredients in slow cooker, set on low and cook for 8 to 10 hours.
- Adjust for salt and serve, garnished with parsley.
For more recipes like this, and meal plans that can be customized just for you, check out the Paleo Recipe Generator.
Like what you’ve read? Sign up for FREE updates delivered to your inbox.I hate spam too. Your email is safe with me.